Sports

Ashley Giles to leave ECB amid Ashes fallout

Ashley Giles is standing down as Managing Director of England Men’s Cricket amid the fallout from the team’s dismal Ashes campaign in Australia.

Andrew Strauss has agreed to step into the role on an interim basis and will put in place arrangements for England’s forthcoming tour of West Indies while the search begins for a full-time replacement.

The changes follow an ECB board meeting on Tuesday to discuss an end-of-tour report by Giles and Chris Silverwood, the head coach, to Strauss.

Following the announcement on Wednesday evening, Tom Harrison, the ECB Chief Executive Officer, said: “I’m extremely grateful to Ashley for his commitment and contribution to England men’s cricket over the last three years… He’s highly respected throughout the game and has made a huge contribution to the ECB and England Men’s cricket. Off the back of a disappointing men’s Ashes this winter we must ensure we put in place the conditions across our game to enable our Test team to succeed.”

Giles said the past couple of years had been “incredibly challenging”.

“Despite these challenges, over the past three years, we have become 50-over World Champions, the top ranked T20I side in the world, we remain fourth-ranked Test team and our Under-19s have just reached the World Cup final for the first time in 24 years. I wish all our players and staff great success for the future. I’m now looking forward to spending some time with my family before looking at the next challenge.”

More to follow

Ashley GilesAndrew StraussEngland



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

close