Entertainment

Eto’o visits victims of Afcon stadium disaster

 

 

President of the Federation of Cameroon Football Samuel Eto’o has visited victims of the Afcon 2021 stampede.

“Today I paid a visit to those injured at last week’s tragic incident at Olembe Stadium,” Mr Eto’o wrote on his official Instagram handle.

He added “On behalf of the Cameroonian Football family, I wish everyone involved a speedy recovery.”

At least eight persons lost their and about 38 others were injured during the stampede at the Olembe Stadium when host Cameroon faced Comoros in their round of 16 encounter on Monday, January 24, 2022.

Videos posted on social media showed crowds of football fans being crushed at the entry points of the Paul Biya stadium in the capital Yaounde where hosts Cameroon defeated Comoros 2 – 1 in the Afcon round of 16 encounter. The Paul Biya stadium has a capacity of 60,000. But due to coronavirus, the stadium was limited to not over 80% full for the Cameroon vs Comoros game.

Match officials are reported to have said that some 50,000 persons wanted to attend the game.

Comoros went into the match without a goalkeeper due to Covid-19 outbreak in its camp and within about five minutes into the game, the Island saw one of its players picking up a straight red card.

Witnesses said the scene before the crush was chaotic, with thousands of fans reported to have struggled to gain access.

Local media reported that in all, at least 38 persons were injured. Out of the 38 persons, seven are said to be in critical condition.

The AFP news agency in its reported cited by African Entertainment, quoted officials as saying that one child is among those who died.

The post Eto’o visits victims of Afcon stadium disaster appeared first on African Entertainment.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

close