Joey Barton “kicked wife in head” after downing “four or five” bottles of wine

Bristol Rovers manager Barton appeared at Wimbledon magistrates court on Friday accused of assaulting his wife Georgia in an incident in Kew, south west London in June last year.

Joey Barton attended a hearing at Wimbledon Magistrates' court
Joey Barton attended a hearing at Wimbledon Magistrates’ court

Bristol Rovers manager Joey Barton “kicked his wife in the head” causing a “golf ball-sized lump” on her head after drinking “four or five bottles of wine”, a court heard.

The 39-year-old allegedly grabbed his wife Georgia by the throat and kicked her in the head at their house in Kew, south west London on June 2 last year. Barton denies assault and is facing trial at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court today (Friday).

The start of the hearing was briefly delayed as a district judge was asked to decide whether police should take a statement from Ms Barton before the trial starts. It was said Ms Barton has never given a formal statement about what happened during the incident and has not been asked by the prosecution to give evidence at the trial.

Prosecutor Helena Duong said the couple, who were entertaining friends including another couple, were said to have gotten into a drunken argument over “families”. She said Barton had pushed his wife over and kicked her in the head.

Ms Duong said: “The prosecution case is brought on the 999 call and body worn footage. On the evening of 2 June Mrs Barton called 999 at 11.14pm and says that she has just been hit in her house by her husband. She asks for the police officers to attend urgently.

Joey Barton (right) is accused of assaulting wife Georgia Barton (left)

At 11.38pm the police officers attend and speak to her outside. She’s waiting with another friend and another couple in the background as well. She says she had gotten into a drunken fight, the disagreement was about families, with her husband.

“She says she was ‘pushed down and kicked about and stuff.’ She said ‘he has got my head and pushed me down and he kicked me on my head’. An injury to the head is described by officers as a lump the size of a golf ball.

She confirms that’s where she was kicked in the head by her husband. When she touches it there’s some blood on her hand that appears to have come from a bloody nose.” Barton, who now lives in Widnes, Cheshire, was said to be asleep upstairs when police arrived and was “still intoxicated” when he was arrested.

The court heard a letter was sent to the CPS by Mrs Barton on February 17 this year. Ms Duong said: “It is contrary to her first account. We don’t propose to obtain a statement from her. There is nothing to stop Mr Barton’s legal team from taking their own statement from her if they wish to.

“She has given an account some eight months after the incident. In the Crown’s submission it’s an attempt to exculpate her husband.” Simon Csoka QC, defending, said Mrs Barton explains the injury was caused “accidentally” when friends intervened in an argument and that everyone had drunk around “four or five bottles of wine each”.

He retired from playing in 2018 after joining Fleetwood and previously represented Burnley at the end of a career which saw him play for Manchester City, Newcastle and Queens Park Rangers, among others. During his career he made one appearance for England in a friendly against Spain in 2007. Barton has been in charge at League One side Bristol Rovers since last February. The trial has been adjourned until later today.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.