Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has opened up on his side’s quadruple chances after the draw with Tottenham as Michael Owen gave his verdict on Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp admitted it is “so unlikely” that his side will win a historic quadruple this season following the 1-1 draw with Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.
The Reds came from behind to register a draw in their Premier League encounter with Antonio Conte’s side, but fell three points behind Manchester City on Sunday following their win over Newcastle United..
It comes after former Reds star Michael Owen said Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane had been “very quiet” during the 1-1 draw with Spurs. And Antonio Conte heaped praise on his side for handling the “amazing atmosphere” at Anfield.
Here are Mirror Football’s latest Liverpool headlines.
Conte’s Anfield claim
Antonio Conte heaped praise on his players following the 1-1 draw with Liverpool after they overcame the “amazing atmosphere” at Anfield.
Son Heung-min’s 20th goal of the season put Spurs ahead in the 56th minute when Harry Kane was allowed to run from deep and pick out Ryan Sessegnon on the left of the penalty area and his low cross was turned in at the far post. But with 16 minutes remaining Luis Diaz’s low strike deflected off Rodrigo Bentancur and inside Hugo Lloris’ right-hand post for the equaliser.
Spurs had several chances to win the game towards the end, leaving Conte “disappointed” – but the Spurs boss was full of praise for his players following the game.
Salah and Mane go ‘quiet’
Liverpool stars Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane went “very quiet” during the 1-1 draw with Spurs, according to Michael Owen.
The Reds required the late intervention of January signing Luis Diaz to prevent them from falling to defeat against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday. Owen praised Diaz as Liverpool’s “bright spark” but was far more critical of star forward Salah and Mane.
Owen described the game as “one result that Liverpool need” – and it seems clear who he thinks is to blame for the disappointing result.
Klopp admits quadruple blow
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has admitted it is “so unlikely” his side will claim the quadruple this season.
The Reds had an outside chance of wrapping up their season with an incredible four trophies after winning the Carabao Cup in March and booking their places in the FA Cup and Champions League finals. They started the weekend one point behind Manchester City in the Premier League table, but have now fallen three points behind after Pep Guardiola’s side claimed a 5-0 win over Newcastle on Sunday.
And while he says Liverpool “will keep going”, Klopp has said “the quadruple is so unlikely”.