News

Pet Dog Dies After Walk In Rain, KL Owner Warns Of Electrocution Risks

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.


A relaxing casual walk in cool evening air after rain quickly turned into a nightmare for one family whose dog suddenly seized up and died from cardiac arrest.

Facebook user Hazel Chee shared her family’s tragic story, warning other dog owners against walking their dogs immediately after rain when the ground is still wet.

Their dog, Skinny, was walking with the family when he started jumping and screaming where he stood. Immediately after, he collapsed.

Although the family attempted CPR, they were unsuccessful in reviving Skinny.

A happy Skinny with his family.
(Credit: Hazel Chee)

What happened?

It turns out that a lamp post nearby had faulty underground wiring, with live electricity leaking into the ground. Because the ground was still wet with rain, the whole area had electrical currents running through the ground and puddles.

Since humans wear rubber-soled shoes when outdoors, we are insulated from electrical currents.

Sport shoes and most outdoor shoes have rubber soles.
(Credit: TRP)

However, barefooted pets (and sometimes even young children!) who step onto any puddles will immediately be electrocuted as they do not have that kind of protection.

Hazel notes that Tenaga Nasional (TNB) was contacted and they confirmed a large leakage area after investigation.

Unfortunately, it will still take some time before the electrical leak can be fixed as the park is owned by DBKL and approval will need to be obtained before TNB can make repairs.

More people need to know these risks

Hazel shared the story so that other pet owners can take note and be aware of risks of electrocution after rain.

If we had known about such risks perhaps this wouldn’t have happened.

Hazel Chee to TRP

Many people are fond of taking walks after rain due to the cool weather, but they should also be aware and ready if their pets suddenly jump and scream frantically, as it could be due to electrocution.

I just wish the electrical works at the park was properly maintained then this wouldn’t have happened.

Hazel Chee to TRP

Skinny was a rescued dog, brought home by his family 2 years ago. He would have been around 4 years old, which is still relatively young for pet dogs.

Skinny would often go on evening walks with his human family members.
(Credit: Hazel Chee)

Sadly, Hazel and her family must instead say goodbye to their beloved family member.


Share your thoughts with us on TRP’s FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

Anne Dorall

Anne Dorall

Anne is an advocate of sustainable living and the circular economy, and has managed to mum-nag the team into using reusable containers to tapau food. She is also a proud parent of 4 cats and 1 rabbit.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

close